[Bristol-Birds] Beartown Wilderness - Tazewell Co, VA - June 20, 2008

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 08:13:16 -0700 (PDT)

Bristol Birders,

Michelle, Chazzy and I spend yesterday searching for a route up Beartown
Tazewell Mountain that would keep us on public property along the way.
Beartown is known by several names that include Beartown Tazewell, Beartown
Balsam, and just Beartown Mountain.  Based on prominence, I rank it as the 4th
highest mountain in Virginia at 4,710 feet.  We found a way to the top but it
took us five hours to get up there.  We probably hiked about 9 miles - most of
it off-trail.  It was a great day of hiking and as an added treat we got to see
a Black Bear at the summit of this aptly named mountain.  High altitude bird
species included Black-throated Blue Warblers (great looks), Veery, Common
Raven, Juncos, and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.  For those interested, here are
some pics and a trip write-up:
http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/beartown4

Ed and Michelle Talbott
Grundy, Virginia

P.S. - Yes, there is no such thing as a true list of "highest mountains" in
Virginia or any other state for that matter.  After Mt. Rogers you must decide
on a definition of peak, summit, and mountain and then define the prominence
you are going to use to determine your list.  Everyone's list will be different
and none will be either right or wrong.  For a definition of prominence and
other terms that someone would use to determine their own state "highest
mountains" list see:
http://www.peakbagger.com/help.aspx