[Bristol-Birds] Arboreal cormorants

  • From: "Todd and Lynn Eastin" <eastin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:29:51 -0400

Well, not really.  They were vultures with their wings spread much like
cormorants drying their wings.  I estimate about 30 of them were in the trees
with another 18 on the ground of the ball field of the Jacobs Creek Job Corps
Center on Denton Valley Rd. in Sullivan Co.  I have reported in the past on the
vulture roost near this location.  I have observed them periodically for
several years.  This morning with no direct sun they were all perched as if to
take advantage of the solar rays.  Maybe 30-40% of them actually had their
wings spread cormorant-like.  There were both turkey and black vultures.  A
somewhat educated guess is that the majority were black ones.  I found it
interesting that this behavior took place on a somewhat warm cloudy morning
rather than a cold sunny one as I have observed in the past.

Separately and last week, I had to stop my car for a male ruffed grouse in full
display.  It was right in the middle of my road up the Johnson Hollow in Shady
Valley.  I took time to appreciate the exquisite set of the tail.  When turned
sideways to me it appeared to be as straight and thin as a razor.  Each tail
feather in perfect alignment.  It would not budge from its position unless I
got the car within 10 feet of it.  It gradually eased off the side of the road
without flying.

Todd Eastin
Shady Valley
Johnson Co.