[Bristol-Birds] American Bittern (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 20:26:23 -0400 (EDT)

March 17, 2011

Alice Loftin and I observed an American Bittern at close range this evening in
the Tusculum area of Greene County.

We found the bird alongside Brown's Bridge Road about a half mile upstream from
the mouth of Frank Creek, which parallels the road for much of its (the road's)
length below the residential areas near Tusculum College. The bird appeared to
be feeding and allowed close approach by car.

This is a personal early date for American Bittern in the county, eclipsing the
date of March 21 (2007).

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN