[Bristol-Birds] All seems normal in with our resident Cooper's Hawk

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:48:30 -0400

All seems normal in the world of our resident Cooper's Hawk
and her apparent nest high in the crown of a white pine tree
in our yard.

At 2:20 p.m., she was again perched on the long dead limb of
a white oak above the terrace in our backyard.  As in the past,
she was facing the nest tree and nothing seemed out of normal.

Just after midnight on Wednesday morning, she had endured
her second night of strong thunderstorms and very high wind
as well as the unusual night activity of emergency and utility
crews.

She has not been seen in the past 48 hours.  Until the late-night
events of Wednesday morning, she had perched for a few days
on this same limb,watchful of the nest tree.  She had been
heard making soft calls in the woods on a regularly basis for a
few weeks.  She had not been heard or seen for at least two
days.

Yesterday when Kevin Hamed and Michele Sparks were
clearing storm debris from my yard, Michele felt confident
she had seen a bird large enough to be the Cooper's fly
into the top of the nest tree.

What is believed to be her mate, was with her on May 20 when
Chris O'Bryan and I saw them.  That is the only time an apparent
mate has been observed and the only time two Cooper's Hawks
have been seen in the vicinity this spring.

A curious situation to say the least.

Let's go birding.....