Brewtopia - Give the gift of cask ale

  • From: Owen Ogletree <brew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brewtopia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:55:48 -0500

Instructions on how to be taken off this Brewsletter list are at the bottom of
this message.

To talk to Owen, please send an email to owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BREWTOPIA EVENTS EMAIL BREWSLETTER
Owen Ogletree (owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
December 15, 2004
http://www.ClassicCityBrew.com
phone (706) 254-BREW

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

BUY YOUR BEER LOVER A TICKET TO A SPECIAL ATLANTA EVENT
Need the perfect gift for a beloved beer lover?  For a $20 donation you can
secure a spot for a person at our January 29, 2005 ATLANTA CASK ALE TASTING.
This wonderful event will be held 5-8 PM at the Sweetwater Brewery in midtown
and will include 12 half-pints of unique, cask-conditioned ales from Atlanta
area breweries.  ALL proceeds go to RELAY FOR LIFE.  Attendees will also enjoy
delightful live music from Atlanta's Keltic Kudzu.  You can make your donation
at http://classiccitybrew.com/acat.html, print out the website information, pop
it in a holiday card, and watch the joy erupt on the face of your neighborhood
beer geek.  There are only a few tickets left, so head over to the website
right now.  Cask ale (or real ale) is young beer that has been placed in small
metal or wooden casks called firkins.  In the sealed firkin the beer undergoes
a special conditioning process whereby the yeast produces carbonation and
wonderful flavor components and then settles to the botto
 m of
the cask.  After a time, excess carbonation is vented and a serving tap is
hammered into a spout on the cask.  The beer is then served without
pasteurization or additions of artificial carbon dioxide or other gasses.  It's
"firkin" delicious!
http://www.classiccitybrew.com/acat.html

TERRAPIN PREMIERS A NEW STOUT THURSDAY
If you are free Thursday night, December 16, at 6 PM, be sure to head over to
Five Seasons Brewing (Prado Shopping Center -- I-285 @ Roswell Road, Atlanta)
for Terrapin's "Get out the Stout" party that will show off the pilot brew for
the new Terrapin Wake 'n Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout!  Bring some
friends too.  This beer sounds delicious and "stimulating!"  If you see me
(Owen) there, be sure to say hello.

PILSEN, CZECH REPUBLIC BEER INFO
Pilsen (Plzen) is a small town that is very walkable, and all pubs listed on
our new Pilsen website are just off the Republiky main square (except for the
Pilsner Urquell brewery which is a short walk across the Radbuza River). Pilsen
is probably one of the most noted brewing towns on the planet, so be sure to
print out our new Pilsen page and let us be your beer guide to the birth city
of Bohemian Pilsener beer!  The tour of the old Pilsner Urquell brewery and
lagering cellars is worth the trip alone!  Click on the link below for the
photos and details...
http://classiccitybrew.com/pilsen.html

STRONG BELGIAN ALES TASTING NOTES
Check out our new posting that provides some useful tasting notes on eleven new
strong ale arrivals in Georgia.  The tasting panel included Owen Ogletree,
Larry Johnson, Joanne Maki, Thel Melton, Lari Cowgill, James Cook (of the Artie
Ball Swing Band), and Michael Simmons (from Five Points Bottle Shop).  Beers
that were evaluated included: St. Bernardus 12, Duvel, Three Philosophers
Cherry Ale, Duinen Tripel, Bos Keun (from De Dolle), Quelque Chose Cherry Ale,
Watou Tripel, Pater Lieven Tripel, Bison Belgian Ale, Caracole Belgian Amber
Ale, and Moinette Brune.
http://classiccitybrew.com/blind_belgian4.html

To contact Owen about other matters, send an email to owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx