[brandon's list] Re: Heavy Rain: What we can and can't do

  • From: "Yohandy" <yohandy85@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brandonslist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 09:28:29 -0500

honestly where on earth are you getting all this from? How many times do I need
to explain to you I never said the game wasn't playable? Oh and to clear some
things up, I never told Brandon my sister beat anything, I said we were both
playing. as in, taking turns throughout the story. Brandon also told me you two
were playing together as well. Isn't that true? you say I told people not to
buy this game? Uh... when? I don't recall saying anything that could be
interpreted as "don't buy this game guys, it's not playable". I clearly stated
the game would be tough for the average blind gamer to get through, not
impossible. I'm not new to gaming guys. I still own an original snes, and I
frequently play games like Super Mario 3 and donkey kong. I never actually beat
SMB3, but I was pretty competent for many of the levels. If I haven't given up
on such old games, what makes you think I'd give up on heavy rain simply
because it's tough? Brandon, your input is appreciated. you managed to come off
non-accusatory, unlike Misty. either you took some time to think it through and
write the email, or you're just good at not sounding that way. I certainly
understand where you're coming from in regards to your gaming methods. I always
use totally bizarre strategies similar to the one you mentioned to get through
games, and I always do things like time the CPU and take advantage of its
weakness. AI's usually follow patterns in games ----- that could easily be
exploited if one pays attention. Super Mario world is a game everyone here
should be familiar with so I'll discuss that. one thing I usually did which
would probably be frowned upon by most sighted gamers was with yoshi, I'd
usually run full speed and run into enemies. they'd take him away but since I
was going full speed, I'd get him back with in a second or so. once the
placement of pits was memorized, many levels became a lot easier using this
strategy, especially if the level contained many enemies to make my job easier.
banging my head into solid objects was also a strategy of mine that helped a
lot, especially in water levels, although it probably gave mario many headaches
hehe. in comparroson to all that guesswork, heavy rain is a piece of cake.
Misty, did you ever stop to consider this whole thing probably came about due
to email miscomunication? instead of asking if this was so, you started off
this whole unnecessary arguement.

    From: "Yohandy" <yohandy85@xxxxxxxxx>
    Date: Sun, March 07, 2010 12:30 am
    To: <brandonslist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    and you continue with your assumptions. you keep saying I think this and I
think that. I don't think anything! you're the one assuming all this stuff from
a random internet stranger you will never meet. how would you know if I'm
letting people beat the games for me? you came over to my house and checked
that out? I don't think so! you say I'm not happy about heavy rain? wrong
again. I really could care less what you think my gaming accomplishments are, I
know what I've done and haven't done. I won't even bother discussing it here
though. in fact I don't even know why I bother writing this email. you strike
me as one of these people that are stubborn to the last, and will do anything
to try and prove their point, even if their point is completely off. Your
random assumptions aren't helping at all, they're just making me quite annoyed.
Let's see... you're gonna take some time off your extremely busy schedule to
reply with more accusations?

        From: "Yohandy" <yohandy85@xxxxxxxxx>
        Date: Sat, March 06, 2010 9:14 pm
        To: <brandonslist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

        Uh, I never said not to try. you accused me of a few things I never
even hinted at let alone said. I actually consider myself a pretty hardcore
gamer. I've gotten MK vs DC and SF 4 platinums, and I'm real close to getting
platinums on rock band 2 and lego rock band. I would never tell people to give
up on a game, because I don't do it myself. In fact I get a thrill if I do
something I consider insane and succeed. I was just pointing out the facts, and
letting people know that it wouldn't be easy. I don't want people buying heavy
rain thinking oh I'm gonna get this game, and easily beat it. people won't
easily complete this game, and I'm not gonna claim otherwise and get people's
hopes up, and if they happen to suck at it I'll be blamed for the purchase.
it'll take lots of work and motivation. do you think I'd preorder the game a
month in advanced and have it delivered on release day if I was a person who
gave up on things? course not. I knew exactly what I was getting into. already
someone has purchased the game and hasn't played it much, and I sorta feel
responsible for letting them know about HR and having them spend money on it
cause I couldn't shut up about the game. I've spoken to Brandon on MSN
previously. ask him if he thinks I'm the type of gamer to give up on games. You
really shouldn't assume things so quickly, it's rather insulting.
            From: "Yohandy" <yohandy85@xxxxxxxxx>
            Date: Sat, March 06, 2010 3:04 pm
            To: <brandonslist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

            Misty, you just proved my point. if finding Jason was tough for
you, imagine for a totally blind person? like you said there are a whole mess
of people in that mall. we'll just end up walking around endlessly and he'll
desperately keep searching till we get frustrated and turn off the game or
happen to find him randomly. in this situation, the game will not continue even
if you walk around all day. Jason will just patiently wait for you to find him
before the game triggers the next scene. there are many sections like this
where time won't pass unless you do what the game demands you do. A walkthrough
for this game     wouldn't be particularly hard to make, except for writing up
those walking parts. trials will be pretty tough as well. rest is just
basically lists of possible options. it'll be time consuming though!

                From: "Yohandy" <yohandy85@xxxxxxxxx>
                Date: Sat, March 06, 2010 1:49 pm
                To: <brandonslist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                Misty,
                Your point is a good one for the most part, but the game won't
continue in certain situations. for instance the mall scene is one of many
where you need to walk around to find what you need to find. lol trying to not
spoil things is hard work. haha. anyway if you just choose to stand there,
nothing will happen. if it's a button sequence you're dealing with and you
press nothing, an undesirable result will most likely occur that you'll end up
regretting later on. if you press a wrong button, it'll have the same
consequences. this game isn't made in such a way that you can just guess what
to do, you have to know what you're doing. I appreciate that you're trying to
help, but we gotta face facts. we'd all love to play this game independently,
but unless a good faq comes out, I doubt we'll be too successful by simply
guessing. I'm just grateful I have people here that can help. not everyone does.

                    From: Søren_Jensen <slj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    Date: Sat, March 06, 2010 9:19 am
                    To: brandonslist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    Okay. So you're saying this game is playable if you have a
great walkthrough and if you take your time to figure it all out? I don't have
any people who can help me accept for one of my friends who love games, but
he's not here all the time.
                    Best regards
                    Søren Jensen
                    Mail & MSN:
                    slj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    Website:
                    http://www.coolfortheblind.dk/

                    Den Mar 5, 2010 kl. 8:00 PM skrev misty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

                      Okay let me clarify here.  This game is not unplayable
it's not beyond the realm of being playable for you guys.  If you find a FAQ
with all the button combos they do not change.  As for the timings you would
have to figure those out on your own as per usual with these things.  It's not
like you'll be stuck people.  This game plays on regardless of what happens you
will never be stuck.  You will need help but I don't think it goes beyond
anything other than finding an FAQ.  If a guy can get help playing legend of
zelda which is way harder than the stuff you have to do in heavy rain, i would
say this would be a cakewalk.  I've been helping brandon play parts of heavy
rain I've even failed at parts in heavy rain such as the drawing of the sketch
in the first chapter.  Some doors I can't open so I have brandon do it for me.
Come on people be open minded and actually try here.  Make an effort.