[brailleblaster] Re: Thoughts on the Specification

  • From: "John Gardner" <john.gardner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:25:06 -0800

John G

From: brailleblaster-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:brailleblaster-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alex Jurgensen
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2010 9:19 AM
To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [brailleblaster] Re: Thoughts on the Specification

Hi John G.,

I disagree. As an OS X user, I expect "Exit" to be called "Quit Braille
Blaster" and be located in the "Braille Blaster" menu. As a Linux user, I
expect "Exit" to be called "Exit" and be placed in the "File" menu. If I
were a Windows user, I would expect "Exit" to be in the "File" menu.

It is all about where things are expected to be in my opinion.

If I wanted to have it all the same, I wouldn't care what environment I was
using. However, I do, as do most end users. It is what differentiates one
platform from the next.

Why would I eat an orange when I could eat a Grapefruit. They both have
peals and are round, but they have different flavours. I see the same with
the layout of an OS.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

Alex,

On 2010-12-10, at 9:03 AM, John Gardner wrote:

I agree completely.  It's just that I'd like to keep those tweaks to a
minimum of things that are clearly important - like where Exit is.  Where
recent documents and the preferences menu are is not important imho.

John G

On 2010-12-10, at 8:48 AM, John Gardner wrote:

I propose answers to the first two of John's questions.
1. I do believe that the user should be able to change key bindings, for
lots of reasons.  And the ones in the spec wiykd be the defaults.  None are
cast in stone - I undoubtedly made a few mistakes.
2. If I understand correctly, the "look and feel" on the different OS
platforms are controlled to a large extent by SWT, so why not just use it
without a lot of tweaking?
3. I really don't understand much about changing the appearance of
applications, so I won't give an opinion on how much the user can/should be
able to do.  However I hope that we won't agree on anything that is a major
complication.

A few other comments.  I agree more or less with John B that we should keep
UI changes to a minimum.  As a Windows user I know that many applications do
not put recent documents list at the end of the file menu, and it would
hardly be a problem for anybody if there were a "recent documents item there
instead.  Preferences are not at all standard.  In fact I don't recall ever
seeing preferences in the edit menu.  I've seen it in the file menu, in the
help menu, in the tools menu, and in other places too.  If it is more
standard in other OS, I'm happy to follow their lead.

Finally I am also happy to have help file as part of BrailleBlaster.  It
would be good if we could have a user-friendly update site so that people
could easily get updates to tutorial and help files.

John G

On 2010-12-09, at 5:34 PM, John Gardner wrote:

The specs say that a user should be able to maximize either the DAISY or

Braille view to cover the other.  Or put them side by side.

On another topic - there has been some discussion about printer drivers.

It

should be straightforward to use ViewPlus printer/embossers with the

Windows

version of BrailleBlaster.  All ViewPlus printer/embosser users have

Tiger

ttf fonts installed, and it should be easy to set up a template so that

the

right ones are being used to tell the ViewPlus machine which character

print and which to emboss.  Otherwise, BrailleBlaster is just another

Windows ap and should print/emboss just fine.  However I personally

don't

know much at all about printing with Mac or Linux.  I have been told

that

CUPS is what one should use for Linux.  I remember reading about CUPS

many

years ago, and all I remember is that it is GPL-licensed and that the

license fee for use in a commercial non-GPL printer driver is many

thousands

of dollars per year.  So what is another way?

John G

On 2010-12-09, at 1:59 AM, Michael Whapples wrote:

Hello,

I don't think having the Braille and daisy views as top level windows

with there own menus would be very natural. Firstly it doesn't really

fit with any other GUI application I can think of, normally they

either

modify available menu options depending on the current view or they

grey

out unavailable options. So as greyed out options are fairly "normal"

encounter I don't see why they would be confusing. Then there is the

case of platforms where menus aren't actually in the window but get

placed by applications in a system menu bar like in Mac OSX (NOTE: SWT

will automatically handle this for you). As an example of the Mac

situation, in safari the web browser, even when I go to its

preferences

all menu options are still there but ones which are irrelevant to

preferences (eg. the option to show/hide the status bar) are greyed

out.

Also the idea of two top level windows being present in one

application

at the same time just seems odd to me, I couldn't imagine it would

look

right (it would probably look like two separate applications). Then

what

happens when there are more documents opened, your description seems

give me more top level windows and more clutter of the desktop. Then

there is the situation of "I am working on a document in

BrailleBlaster,

I have finished on that document so I close the document but keeping

BrailleBlaster open as I want to work on another document", what do I

encounter at the point when BrailleBlaster has no open documents?

Having

the document views as child elements of a "BrailleBlaster appliccation

top level window" I would be left with an empty BrailleBlaster window

containing only the menus and toolbars (IE. no sub windows), allowing

me

to go to the menu and choose open document or new or whatever task I

want to do. Also with my idea of the view, multiple documents would

just

lead to more sub views, the desktop only ever has one BrailleBlaster

top

level window.

Now one thing which might be desired is a shortcut pop-up menu

specific

to each view. What I mean is one of those context menus which are

activated by right clicking the mouse of a UI element (use the

applications key or may be shift+f10 and on Mac with voiceover

vo+shift+m). In these context menus only the options relevant to that

element would be shown.

Michael Whapples

On 09/12/10 04:55, John J. Boyer wrote:

This sounds good. My understanding was that the Daisy and Braille

windows would each have their own menus. The specification doesn't

say

so explicitly, but it seemed reasonable, since some things would be

possible in one window and some things in another. If the Daisy and

Braille windows are embedded in a top window with the menus, status

bar

and toolbar, the grayed-out options could be confusing and

frustrating

for the user. Is this actually the way it will be?

So the print and embosser previews are basically big dialog boxes. I

don't remember anyone saying they should be open continually. They

are

opened when needed.

I don't think BrailleBlsster should display multiple documents

simultaneously, since it already has two views for each document.

Rather, when a user switched to another document these view would be

changed for that document.

The Daisy and Braille windows should prbably be called views instead,

especially if they don't contain their own menus.

John

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 08:45:53PM +0000, Michael Whapples wrote:

We seem to be getting a whole jumble of things here. A window is a

very

generic thing. A dialog is a type of window, normally used to show

messages or let users select options. A dialog is not embedded in

the

top level window but can be such that it prevents the user going

back

the main window. A dialog might not cover the main application top

level

window. Then there are child windows (they may have another name)

which

usually is embedded into the top level window. These may be used for

multiple documents (eg. MS Word has been known to work like this I

don't

know about their latest version). Finally then there are what I am

calling a top level window, these don't have any other window

containing

them.

My feeling is:

* BrailleBlaster will have a top level window containing the menus

and

such like which are common to all situations.

* The daisy viewer and Braille viewers will be child windows or may

be

even panes within a child window or may be this will all work on the

tab

idea. Anyway the main idea is these will be embedded into the top

level

window.

* Print and preview will be dialog boxes as these are both actions

(IE.

I go to print/emboss a document or I go and view how it will be

printed). I see no reason why print preview would need to be open

continually.

Michael Whapples

On 08/12/10 20:13, John J. Boyer wrote:

I've never actually looked at a print preview window. Has anyone

seen

an

embosser preview window? I would think that programs would handle

preview by opening a temporary window that either hides the

existing

window or minimizes them.

John

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 12:27:33PM -0600, qubit wrote:

Regarding What happens to the windows when a print preview is

active:

I wonder if opening a new window is a good idea.

I am growing to like one feature in eclipse's UI: eclipse will

cycle

through

all the various windows if you hold control and type F7

repeatedly.

It has a lot of rather busy windows.  I wonder what it looks like

sighted person.

As for print preview, I have no idea what to do if you are

embossing

document.  The image in the braille window doesn't necessarily

look

like

the

output of the device.  Do the various embossers provide any kind

of

API

for

knowing what the braille will look like?

Also, if viewing it on screen, you are further limited by the

display

capabilities.

Interesting question.  But do you really want there to be a hard

coded

window for print preview, print  and emboss?  Couldn't it just be

like

most

apps that put a command for print and emboss and print preview in

the file

menu? That could bring up a dialog.

Just wondering.

--le