[brailleblaster] Re: The source code runs.

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 12:27:53 +0000

Here is a link to an article about test driven development http://www.agiledata.org/essays/tdd.html. This is a very high level look at TDD rather than being specific to how it is done in Java, I am sure a quic search would find a more Java based one. I chose this one because I felt it was very clear on the actual ideas of TDD rather than getting bogged down with specific implementations.

Michael Whapples
On 06/12/10 04:45, John J. Boyer wrote:
Thanks for the link.

I just put a texts directory iin my srcdirectory. I'm totally unfamiliar
with test-driven development, so I'll take a look. Any tutorials?

I'm still working on localization. In fact, I have a stub of a class
called LocaleHandler which has the methods setLocale, getLocale and
localValue This class should be imported into everything else, so people
get in the habit of calling localValue with a key innstead of just
asigning a string. I think that localization would be a really good
candidate for test-driven development. It has to be working from the
beginning.

John

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 01:32:36AM +0000, Michael Whapples wrote:
Good to hear that you've got it working. A quick search did reveal a
tutorial providing the information on how to get ant to make a jar file
run with the java -jar command, see
http://ant.apache.org/manual/tutorials.html and look at the hello world
tutorial. I gave the general tutorials link incase the others are useful.

Now I know what you might think when I say this, but have yu got junit
tests working? I do feel junit tests are particularly useful and I would
agree with the idea of test driven development where you write the tests
first and then write the code which meets the criteria in the tests.

Michael Whapples
On 05/12/10 07:11, John J. Boyer wrote:
After looking fruitlessly in the ant manual I looked at ant's own
build.xml. It turned out that I simply had to specify the class with the
main method in an attribute tag under the manivest tag under the jar
tag. Now the code runs and gives the runtime error I expect. I hope to
have another draft on Monday.

Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!