[brailleblaster] Some Thoughts

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 02:19:51 -0600

I've read through all these messages, annd I'm convinced we should stick
with SWT. By the time BrailleBlaster is ready for use by anybody other
than a developer the problems on the Mac may be resolved. We can add a
little pressure to the Eclipse developers to help things along. The idea
of using the SWT browser to present GUI content is interestinng.

The classpaths specified in the ant build.xml file go iknto the manifest
of the BrailleBlaster jar file. This makes callinng BrailleBlaster very
convenient on my flavor of Linux and on Windows. We could make different
versions of BrailleBlaster for different distros, but I think that is
something for the early adapters who use these distros to worry about.
They will know their own flavors. And many of them won't care about the
standard locations.

Let's learn from Alex's experience in proting BrailleBlaster to the Mac.
Concern about various Linux flavors at this time is a distraction.

As for me, I'm concentrating on getting BrailleBlaster to work with at
least generic embossers. Then I'll make a simple text editor using a
GUI. the experience in doing this will be necessary to make the real
GUI. The text editor will remain as a BrailleBlaster feature to be used
by advanced users.

Incidentally, BrailleBlaster is a single word.  It should not have a
space.

----- End forwarded message -----