[brailleblaster] Re: Latest News

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 14:07:32 -0500

Chris,

The tdml files (extension utd) are a single data store for each
document. An original document might come in a vairity of formats, such
as Daisy xml, text, Word, rich text, etc. Since the native format of
BrailleBlaster is UTDML, non-daisy files are first converted to Daisy,
then presented on the print view. When they are translated to braille
liblouisutdml adds the UTDML markup. The resulting file is then read
back by Brailleblaster and shown as the combined Daisy and Braille
Views. If a document is short it might be processed entirely in memory
instead of creating a file. In any case, when the user saves a document
it is saved as a UTDML file, with the extension utd.

I guess the UTDML parts of a file are the authorative version. The
original print text is just the starting pThe user can edit it and it
will be saved along with the braille, if translation has been done.

John