[brailleblaster] Re: Latest Draft of BrailleBlaster attached

  • From: "Susan Jolly" <easjolly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:29:58 -0700

John,

I was trying to make less work for you, not more. If you get in the habit of putting a short package.html file or package-info.java file in the directory every time you create a package directory, then it just takes an extra minute or so and your major API documentation is done. Same thing with putting a one-sentence description of a class just above the class declaration every time you create a new class.

I was unaware of package-info.java before you mentioned it. Apparently since Java 1.5 this is the preferred alternative since it allows for package-level annotations and is less cluttered. However, you can still use a package.html file if you prefer.

This is a very nice write-up about why and how to use javadoc.
http://www.javapractices.com/topic/TopicAction.do?Id=60
I'd not run across the javapractices site before but it looks really useful.

By the way, javadoc is simply a tool for extracting comments from Java source code and publishing them in a certain format. This is very different from literate programming. With a literate programming system you write your literate source in a higher-level language that intermixes code snippets and documentation in what Donald Knuth called a Web. You must then use a preprocessor to turn the literate source into actual source code every time you want to compile. I don't believe literate programming has ever really caught on.

Susan