[brailleblaster] Re: Implementing Internationalization

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <johnjboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 19:57:48 -0600

Alex,

I think your offer to do Spanish is great. So unless there is a strong
desire somewhere for a different language that will be our second
language. I used to speak Spanish fluently, and I know there are some
fluent speakers who have been lurking. English will of course be our
first language. I'll do that one, so I can get familiar with the
localization process and write some code to simplify using it.

Dates, numbers and currencies are all handled in the jdk. I think that
using subclasses of ResourceBundle would be the best way to do
localization. They will get compresed into the jar file, and we won't
have properties files hanging around. The process is pretty simple.

There has been an inquiry about ussing .po and .pot files for
translations. Does anyone know anything about using them in Java?

We might allow users to do localization using properties files. That
would be another use of the text editor.

John

--
My websites:
GodTouches Digital Ministry, Inc. http://www.godtouches.org