[botswanapredatorforum] Re: caracal and black backed jackal numbers

Hi Lorraine,

The only records that I know of, which if you can find them could be
interesting,  are from a company which flourished  from the mid sixties to
the mid eighties.  This company,  Botswana Game Industries set up a tannery
in Francistown and bought hides and skins from all over Botswana including
the small cats and jackals which were much sort after for making karosses. I
believe they did have records and during the second half of the period
mentioned they would have been filling in forms as prescribed by their
trophy dealers licence. If you could track those records down they would be
a mine of information.  I doubt the Dept of Wildlife would have kept these
records but if they have they would be very valuable as they would relate to
dozens of trading stores scattered throughout Botswana at that time.

From 1965 to 1968 I conducted an in depth three year countrywide survey of
the  mammals of Botswana for The Smithsonian Institute of Washington.   This
may be helpful to you to compare the distribution 30 to 40 years ago, with
now.  This study focussed particularly on small carnivores and was published
in The Mammals Of Botswana by R.H. N Smithers 1971.

Hope this helpful to you.

Best regards, Tim
Tim Liversedge