[botswanapredatorforum] Re: caracal and black backed jackal numbers

  • From: Gabriele Cozzi <gab.cozzi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 08:43:22 +0100

Hi Lorraine,
No idea about figures for caracal or bb jackals. The only think I can say is that during my 4 years in the Santawani area (Moremi) I saw caracal only three times (as a comparison I saw serval way more often). Jackals are definitely common but I do not have figures for the area.

Cheer,
Gabriel

Gabriele Cozzi

Institute of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies
Zurich University
Winterthurerstr. 190
8057 Zurich - Switzerland
E-mail: gabriele.cozzi@xxxxxx
Phone: ++41(0)44 6356116
Fax: ++41(0)44 6355711
http://www.ieu.uzh.ch
http://african-carnivores.com

Botswana Predator Conservation Trust
Private Bag 13
Maun - Botswana
E-mail: gab.cozzi@xxxxxxxxx
Mobile: +26774259312
http://www.bpctrust.org

On 24.02.2012 08:12, Plr wrote:
Hi Lorraine

We have a large jackal population in the Northern Tuli but have never done a count. We used to see the odd caracal about 15 years ago but haven't seen one since so looks to me like they have all but disappeared from our area. Habitat change ? And very abundant leopard population ?

Regards
Pete

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 23, 2012, at 15:30, "Lorraine Boast" <lboast@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:lboast@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi all,
Would anyone have rough estimates of caracal and black backed jackal numbers in Botswana. Are there any official figures?
Thanks
Lorraine
Lorraine Boast
PhD student
Department of Zoology, University of Cape Town
+255 (0) 773833237