[botswanapredatorforum] Re: caracal and black backed jackal numbers

Hi Mark,
Certainly covering the Selinda and Duba concessions there are detailed log
books after each game drive and we have these for many years. Caracal are on
the books, (as are lion, buffalo, large elephant herds, leopard, cheetah,
sable, serval, wild dogs, civet, roan, first births, dens, aardvark,
aardwolf, injured animals like hippo and elephant, but I suspect that
jackals don¹t feature...probably because they fall into this weird
traditional category of sometimes being vermin or maybe because they are
often prolific enough not to raise any flags.
I will get our guides to start recording jackals too.
All the best
Dereck