[botswanapredatorforum] Ghantzi Road Fence

Re: [botswanapredatorforum] impacts of use of poisons on wildlifeDoes anybody
have any information on the Ghantzi road fence??

I am aware that a few years ago, some organisation (WCS??) sponsored a EURO 5
million study looking at the wildlife corridor between CKGR and KTP, and worked
with the communities in those areas. I think ex DWNP director Mr Sedia Modisa
was involved. Anyway, there is now a double bonnox fence with barbed wire
running on both sides of the Jwaneng to Ghantzi road, which is a fairly
effective barrier to wildlife movement in these areas I am sure. The fence, by
its markings is not simply near villages but is marked or being constructed in
the WMas too.

A few questions.

I thought that some vestiges of a migratory route for the few wildebeeste left
in CKGR moves across between Sekgoma and Kang. I have seen wild dogs, lion and
cheetah crossing this section of road in the last 10 years, as well as
Hartebeeste and Springbok?

Why is the reserve not being fenced with normal barbed wire. A five strand
barbed wire fence inhibits cattle but not wildlife??

Dos DWNP know of the existence of this fence, and was the WCS?? study made
available to the roads department??

This to me seems another study done, and placed on a shelf to retain dust and
not be shared between ministries??