[bookshare-discuss] uploading

  • From: "Duane A. Iverson" <diverson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:18:41 -0000

Here is a slightly revised version of how to upload,.
Hope this helps.

First, bookshare likes RTF documents.
before uploading you should save the book you want to upload in RTF format.
I don't know  what scanning software you use, I am familiar with both
Openbook and Kurzweil  Both files can save a document in RTF.
using Openbook as an example, the book you scanned might have a title like
mybook.ark.
bring mybook.ark in to openbook and using the file menus save it as
mybook.rtf.
I generally save the books I intend to upload in the
my documents directory so the file name would look like this
c:\my documents\mybook.RTF
Now you are going to need some things before you upload.
1 the title.
my book
2., the author
Jan Stirbens.
3 the copyright date   2004, 1976, or whatever.
4. the ISBN number

You can write this down on the slate or in notepad.

Now that you have this assembled, go to the bookshare homepage.
After logging in, go the the submit-a-book link and click on the link.
A new screen will come up.
one of the links is  About Submitting, you might enjoy reading that.
below this link it will say
wish-list link  then Help this page link.
Next you come to an edit field.
Title.
My jaws says "title edit.
Here you enter the title, as above, say  "my book.
If you are using JAWS you have to turn forms mode on.  If you are not using
JAWS  I trust you will know what to do, using your screen reader,  to allow
you to fill in the fields.
The next field is author(s)  Her you write in the name of the author or
authors  say
Jan Sturbins and Duane Iverson
In the next field, copyright name, you would write in a longer title.
My book, a study in uploading.
Next is the copyright date.
then comes a combo box
Format Combo-box Select Format
Using the down and up arrow, you can select what ever your format is. ARK
arkenstone, KES Kurzweil RTF, txt,  ETC.
You can send formats other then RTF if you wish.  The advantage to RTF is
that all the validators can read RTF.  If you sent up a book formatted for
openbook or Kurzweil only someone with access to the particular program
could look at your book.

The next field is select file file upload edit.
Here is where I type in the name of the file
c:\my documents\mybook.rtf
You can use the browse button which comes just after the file upload field
if you wish, but I have better luck just typing in the path and file name.
After the browse button it says
"enter a brief Synopsis of this book 200 characters or less"
Here you write a short description of the book.
If you are a better typist then your humble correspondent, andd who isn't,
you can type here, but can also clip something you have already typed in
notepad using the cut and paste.
Then the help link is found.
Now you come to a number of check boxes.  Check which ever fits your book.
If the book is about animals, check animals, if its science fiction or
history or what ever.
After 32 check boxes, you come to the ISBN Edit field.
Here you must either type in the ISBN number, or clip  it from notepad.  The
book will upload without this field, but they like it if its there.  Many
older books, though, don't have ISBN numbers as they weren't used.
There is another help link then a series of buttons.
"Rate the quality of this book", Jaws Says, "fair Good, Excellent.
After this set of buttons, you reach another edit field.
"Enter a suggested longer synopsis about the book, less than 500 words."
I usually write a description or short review of the book here, first in
notepad and pasting it in to this field.
After you finish this field you encounter another fill-in field
"Enter any comments for the volunteer reviewing this submission."
If you have any comments about your book put them here.  These are such as,
say "the book uses British spelling", or "page 116 looks strange, but I had
a sighted person look at the book and the page scanned as it reads".
or, as In my book on the Salem witch trials, I told the reviewer something
about how I handled picture captions.

After you have finished this field, you come to the upload button.
Hit the button and the book should upload.
If you made an error, the system will not allow you to upload the book.
This usually happens if you left out a field or something.
The computer should say something like
"Error: Some of the data you submitted was either missing or incorrect."
Below is the information on what you did, or failed to do.
This will take a while. Don't get discouraged.
My first few books took a long time to get submitted before I got
comfortable with the form.
But what if you did everything correct?
Silence!
JAWS, at least, says nothing.  A little Whirly-Wheal appears on the screen
which a sighted person can see, but the computer will go silent until the
book is uploaded.
After the upload is finished, a thank-you page comes up, and you're done!
If you have high speed internet this shouldn't take too long.
if you have dial-up go get a cup of coffee.
Happy Uploading!