[bookshare-discuss] Re: trouble browsing books with the new site

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 23:31:29 EST

That is how I am doing it, except that I am transferring only the XML file.
The description of the problem, though, sounds like something I ran into at an
earlier time. I seemed to be transferring the file to the card perfectly well,
but then when I got the card into the Stream the book was not there. When I
examined the contents of the card with my computer, though, I did find the book
I was trying to put on it. The problem was that it was in no folder. At the
end of the list of folders it was sitting there as if it was a folder itself. I
finally reformatted the card and started over using the Stream Companion. I
was careful to transfer the file into the folder labeled text. The one labeled
dtb seems to be for talking books like one gets from the NLS. It also seems
that when transferring using the companion the only file that shows as
available
for transfer is the XML file. That is apparently why this problem with
putting books from the new site on the Stream does not seem to have effected me.

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bookshare-discuss] Re: trouble browsing books with the new site
Date:
1/21/2009 11:00:11 PM Eastern Standard Time
From:
talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
To:
bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Diane,

I can't help you with your Braille Note, but I have a VR Stream, and
may be able to help.

This assumes you are downloading the daisy version.
After you download your book from Bookshare, make sure to unzip it to
a folder, preferably the same name as your book, for neatness and
organizational sake.
Now when you move it to your VR Stream's card, make sure you put this
new folder in the correct VR Stream folder.  E.G. $VRDTB
Now if you want to use what my mother would have called the "belt &
suspender" approach, open this folder with your new daisy book and
copy the file with the .xml extension to your $VRText folder as well.
This last step somewhat relies on your having your system set up to
display file name extensions.  If you don't, the file with the .xml
extension should be the last 1 with the book's name in the folder.
The only reason I would recommend doing that, is until I'm sure they
have the bugs worked out of the daisy transcription software, you are
assured of getting at least 1 working copy of the book on your VR
Stream, and the files don't take up that much space.

Dave

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)