[bookshare-discuss] Re: trouble browsing books with the new site

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:33:30 EST

I think the Stream Companion is under rated. When I first got the Stream I
was asking for help here about how to transfer books to it. Everyone was
telling
me to not bother with the companion at all because it was entirely too
cumbersome. I think the problem they had with it is that they were old hands at
file
transfer and they were more comfortable doing it the way they always had. I,
on the other hand, was new to it and the way they were trying to instruct me
seemed to be cumbersome and hard to understand. At one point I was trying to
follow the instructions I had been given and I was getting nowhere. In
exasperation I opened up the companion and it worked perfectly well for me. Now
that I
am getting used to transferring files, at least more used to it than I was, I
am using the companion for some things and not using it for other things. The
advantage for transferring Bookshare books is that when one opens up the
correct file in the companion and gets ready for transfer, the only file that
belongs in that folder is the only file that shows, so it is hard to make a
mistake.

Now, I have been putting Bookshare books in the text folder all along because
it just seemed that would be where a book of that nature belonged. It also
happens that it has been the XML version that I have been putting there all
along too, so that is probably why I have not been effected by the problems
that
are being reported here. Presumably, that means I am losing the navigation
functions found in the Daisy version, but frankly, that has not really effected
me
either; it is my normal practice to read a book from start to finish anyway
and if I need navigation the Stream's bookmark feature supplies that for me. I
have also read the newspapers I have downloaded from start to finish, but if I
downloaded newspapers frequently I can imagine that I might want that
navigation. However, I have fallen into the habit of using Google news for my
newspaper reading and I find that I prefer it. After all, the Google newspaper
selection is a whole lot bigger and has newspapers from all over the world.

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bookshare-discuss] Re: trouble browsing books with the new site
Date:
1/22/2009 8:25:30 AM Eastern Standard Time
From:
talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
To:
bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Hi Roger,

I've never used the Stream Companion software, as I have my card
reader, which I find more convenient for my purposes.
Admittedly, I am a bit of a dinosaur, and I still find myself
dropping into a DOS box to accomplish certain file management task.

The $VRDTB folder however, is the one that is intended for daisy
books, whether they be from Bookshare or the NLS.
Unfortunately, for a while there, the Bookshare daisy files had
issues, and being of a conservative nature in some things, I'm not
going to say they've gone away until we go a few months without any hitches.
Sometimes when a Bookshare daisy book was put on the Stream, the
Stream would skip right over it not seeing it at all; other times it
would read the title the first time, not letting you access it, and
then skip over it after that;
on other occasions, it would read the title, access the book, and
tell you that you were at the end; while in some instances it would
read it just fine.
Thankfully, I think the latter case prevails right now, and the only
problem I have seen lately, is that when deleting a book from the
Stream via its own delete feature, the daisy folders aren't always
being removed as there seem to be 1 or more files in them that the
Stream doesn't associate with daisy books.
I'm not sure who, if either, is straying from the daisy standard,
(which isn't really so standard, as it is evolving) or not fully
implementing it, or adlibbing a bit.

In any case, I guess for a while, I will continue to put a copy of
the xml book I wish to read into the $VRText folder, as well as the
daisy edition in its place, because I find it easier to delete extra
files later, rather than having to go back and transfer files once I
think I'm done and ready to read.

Dave

At 11:31 PM 1/21/2009, you wrote:
>That is how I am doing it, except that I am transferring only the
>XML file. The description of the problem, though, sounds like
>something I ran into at an earlier time. I seemed to be transferring
>the file to the card perfectly well, but then when I got the card
>into the Stream the book was not there. When I examined the contents
>of the card with my computer, though, I did find the book I was
>trying to put on it. The problem was that it was in no folder. At
>the end of the list of folders it was sitting there as if it was a
>folder itself. I finally reformatted the card and started over using
>the Stream Companion. I was careful to transfer the file into the
>folder labeled text. The one labeled dtb seems to be for talking
>books like one gets from the NLS. It also seems that when
>transferring using the companion the only file that shows as
>available for transfer is the XML file. That is apparently why this
>problem with putting books from the new site on the Stream does not
>seem to have effected me.

  Put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the Subject line.  To get a list of

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)