[bookshare-discuss] Re: old scanning systems

  • From: "Susan Mangis" <suemangis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 22:38:48 -0700

Hi Everyone,

I've been enjoying this topic, because I can remember hearing about the
first scanning machine that as I recall cost $50,000 and was at a
university.  It wasn't anything that would fit in a bedroom, and not within
a budget.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was a kirtzwell.  I
remember seeing it on TV.

And to the person who mentioned the optacon, I have mine sitting right next
to the scanner, and use it daily for those quick things, like whose the mail
from etc.  And for those interested in history, I had some experience
testing the development of the optacon, and from what it started out like
getting it down into something to carry over your shoulder like the note
takers of today was amazing at that time.  I've been an optacon user for 30
years.  In 93 I got my first Openbook on a bunch of disks for the dos
machine.  Scanning has definitely improved from some of the first books I
scanned.  Also I remembering seeing the Reading Edge, and Oscar at the CTEVH
conference.  Sorry this got a bit off topic.

Sue Mangis