[bookshare-discuss] Re: numbers mean

  • From: Brad D <esnud@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 22:28:27 -0600

Shelley and Cindy,

These books I had scanned were done probably within the past two years, the person was very much wanting me to be happy with the scans but I just couldn't read them that fast before she sent them back to me. I didn't know about earning a membership by volunteering, however even so I'm concerned about a pressure situation to turn a validation around. I barely have time to read the books for informational purposes so I'd hate to volunteer and not be able to come through. I run a vending route plus a performing songwriter which has me pretty busy. I need to read more and certainly validating would give a nice way of reading slow enough to let things sink in. The books I had scanned, where I noticed problems I tried to straighten out just for my own purposes and also thoughts of getting it to BookShare when done, but the repair, to me anyway, seemed to intense. I would have layout issues for example...

I might have a sentence that was run out like this
but then
a small line as the one above. Then like this one it would be fine and
then another
would be short like that and it seemed to much to fix.

Removing the carriage return on each line to ensure a constant wrap was too much. Anyway. I will think about the volunteering. Do you have to do a certain amount of books in a certain time? I'm not asking with respect to a free membership even, I just don't know if I can do a ton, but this is a great service, I absolutely love it and, if I can find a way to contribute at some level I might be able to fit something in, even if not a bunch.

Brad

At 08:53 PM 1/28/2008, you wrote:
Hey Brad, smile.

You learn over time, how to puzzle out mistakes in your scans.  One of the
beautiful things about Bookshare is we have various talents and skills here.
There are indeed some books that I just can't make hide nor hair, of, such
as Alphabestary which is in the collection, but we have volunteers if they
could get the book, who can see and explain what is going on in the pages,
and describe diagrams and pictures.

But normally most nonfiction and fiction, are very straight forward, and
volunteering is a way to get a full membership without paying for it.  I
earned my first membership, back in 2002 and have had one ever since, from
volunteering.

What we usually suggest is to start with a book submitted by someone who has
done a lot of editing and is a good scanner.  There are a bunch on this
list, and when we advertise books that you might be interested in, then you
can try your luck, smile.

I wonder, how long ago were those books scanned for you?  Scanning
technology has improved dramatically over the last three or four years.  it
is amazing what can be done today with scanning books.

It is rare I can't get a book to scan to a point that I can puzzle out what
should be there, smile.  We don't strive for, or never could achieve
publisher quality, but excellent is pretty darn close if we can get to it,
smile.

But you can always just enjoy the organization, its books that are
available.

If you want email m off list, and maybe send maybe two of the books you want
scanned and I will see what I can do with them.

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI
and Guinevere, Golden lady Guide
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.