[bookshare-discuss] Re: numbers mean

  • From: Brad D <esnud@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:14:23 -0600

Shelley,

That does help. As I mentioned, I did have some books scanned already, and one I read seems pretty good, another has some issues and another , has issues in the order of sentences and etc. I look at these and wonder how the heck I would fix them, so I'm not certain I'd make a good validator :). The one book in which I feel is not bad, I plan to read it again, and I could at that time make any corrections I feel are needed and submit it for approval. Thanks for letting gme know I will consider it.

Brad

At 05:54 PM 1/28/2008, you wrote:
Hi Brad,

Actually even if you don't have a scanner, you can be a volunteer for
Bookshare.

We need what are called "validators".  These are people who take the scans
that people like me have submitted, and look through them, to check for page
breaks, page numbers, author, title, copyright date and holder, and if they
so choose fix errors that they find in the file.

Most of the editing can be done, either using Wordpad, or MS Word, or
another program like Kurzweil, or a notetaker, or whatever you have
available.

When you are done with the book file, you can either "accept" it, which
means it goes onto the administrator for approval, or "reject" it, which
means it isn't added into the collection.

So even though not all of have scanners.

Or for example.  In the case of your books on lyrics and song writing.  If I
was to scan the books, and then put them up on the site, you could be the
validator, who would download them and look them over.

We have done that before for wish list books or books people send us.

Does this help make the process clearer.  I would offer to do your books,
but I got a huge pile of stuff here with three wishlist requests in the
stack.

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI
and Guinevere, Golden lady Guide
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx