[bookshare-discuss]

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "carol andres" <sanmar1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Buddy Brannan" <davros@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Brent Reynolds" <jbr53@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "brenda osborn" <brenda.osborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bob Yeomans" <byeomans@xxxxxxxx>, "bob sweetman" <bob.sweetman@xxxxxxx>, "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <bj39@xxxxxxx>, "Bill Scherer" <bspro@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "bill" <bill.sparks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "barbara bransky" <barbee6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "b. miller" <iller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ann Morris Bliss" <annmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Andy Baracco" <wq6r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Almy, Teresa D." <TAlmy@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Allen J Hubin" <ajhubin@xxxxxxxx>, "alice hackney" <arhackney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Al and Connie Gil" <acgil@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Adaptive Information Systems" <aistech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Abby Vincent" <aevincent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:57:06 -0800

                   fyi:
       CHICAGO - In an effort to accommodate people with visual impairments
in
need of technical support, The Chicago Lighthouse has established a
telephone assistive technology support line.
The toll free number for the new service is 888 TCL (825) 0080.
"We're excited to have an opportunity to make it easier for people with
visual impairments to take advantage of the many technological
advancements that are now more readily available," said William
Bielawski, program manager for adaptive technology and office skills
training at The Lighthouse.
Bielawski noted that any blind or visually impaired person could call
the support line regardless of what product they're using.
"It can be any hardware or software relating to assistive technology as
long as the customer is visually impaired," he said.
"We also encourage calls from teachers and other individuals who work
with people who are visually impaired as well as other interested
parties."
Servicing the calls is Ray Campbell, a former engineer with Lucent
Technologies who now works in The Lighthouse's Adaptive Technology
program.
"Our intent is to offer a one stop place where people who are blind or
visually impaired can get the assistance that they need," he said.
"I can listen to what JAWS or WindowEyes is saying and walk him or her
right through their problem."
Campbell added that if he can't resolve the issue over the phone, he
will schedule an on-site visit as long as the customer resides in the
Chicago metropolitan area.
The program was made possible when The Lighthouse successfully matched a
$41,000 grant from the Boeing Company Foundation.
"We're tremendously grateful to Boeing for their support and we intend
to use the help desk in strengthening our level of customer service and
showcasing The Lighthouse as a national leader in adaptive technology,"
Bielawski said.
Celebrating its centennial this year, The Lighthouse is one of the
oldest social service agencies in Chicago.  It is regarded as the most
comprehensive agency of its kind in the Midwest and a model agency
nationally.
Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often.
Steve, K8SP
YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
Visit your group "
askaboutit