[bookshare-discuss] Re: elipses

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:10:11 -0500

Oh I see,  they are not ellyptical dots. . . they are elipsing dots. . .
Sorry for the typos.

G.

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

Cindy
Sent by:
09/28/2004 01:10 PM
Please respond to
bookshare-discuss

bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bookshare-discuss] Re: elipses

Boomerdad, you're right about what elipses are -- but
usually what appears in your examples would be an
em-dash. Are the dots in the book itself, i.e., do you
have a sighted person around who can check the book?
I'm validating a "Fair" book now which has dots but
the book itself as the em-dash. (I'm sighted and can
look at the book), so I'm correcting it.  The file I'm
working with is a txt file rather than an rtf file; I
don't know if the conversion  to txt is what caused
what might have been em-dashes originally to become
the 3 dots of which you speak or not.

But in the context of the example you give, I'd say
dashes are more common and moe correct than the dots,
though stylistically an author or publisher might
choose differently.

If you want and I can get the book, maybe I can check
some pages for you where the dots appear and let you
know what they're supposed to be.

Cindy

http://mail.yahoo.com