[bookshare-discuss] Re: drama from a blind perspective

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:31:49 -0500

Hi all,

Those are all good plays. "Our Town" is a classic drama. "By the Skin Of Our Teeth" is a farce. It is always better to see plays enacted rather than to read them. The only thing better than that is to go to live theater with audio description! We're fortunate here in Rochester that our resident theater company at GEVA offers this service. On one Sunday during the run of each play, you can go and get a receiver and earphone and hear somebody in the lighting booth describing what is going on. It's fabulous!

I grew up going to the theater. Both my parents were actors at one point in their lives, and I have attended professional shows, high school shows and elementary school shows. I have been to theaters in London and London, Ont. and the Shaw Festival, but nothing compares to a live show with audio description. Happy reading. I hope you'll have the opportunity to see more live theater. There's nothing like it!

Ann P.