[bookshare-discuss] Re: courtesy to Pavi

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:14:27 -0600

Pavi, isn't it fun to have a name that doesn't... quite... translate into American english, in terms of how it sounds?

My dad immigrated to the U.S. from what is now Serbia. Immigration services at Ellis Island couldn't figure out either his first name or his last name because of the pronunciation and because his documents were written using the Russian alphabet. So they assigned him a new first name, and made a last name up that they sorta kinda thought sounded like the right one. People can't pronounce that one correctly, either. grin.

Judy s.

Pavi Mehta wrote:
Smiling big from the continued variations on my name and the wonderful
patience, humor and thoughtful attentiveness the list has brought to it.
No apologies necessary at all. If anything I apologize for not writing
in earlier with clarification when this subject came up awhile ago. But
for those still interested in the pronunciation -- Sue had it right in
the mail she sent out. The first syllable is pronounced exactly like the
first syllable in "puppy".
And just so you all know -- Pavi or Patty or Potty (as one of the most
comical variations would have it), I tend to take the Shakespearean, "A
rose by any other name would smell as sweet" philosophy with all of this
(grin).

Pavi