[bookshare-discuss] Re: correcting books after download

  • From: "Don Bishop" <w6smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:28:30 -0700

Hi Cindy,

I certainly don't expect perfect books as the validating process is being done
by people and there's no real way to totally automate the process.

I brought it up not to complain, but rather to figure out if there is some way
to improve the quality of the scanned book while still being able to do what
bookshare is about which is to be able to read books and get information from
them.  It's a hard line to walk, but a whole lot better than no access at all,
and
I'd like to think we're all trying to make it better as time goes on.

Don

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 01:12:40 -0700 (PDT), Cindy wrote:

Don, you aren't the only one who's commented on the
fact that books rated "Good" really aren't all that
good. There has been a lot of discussion and
validators are now trying to make books perfect,or
close -- and there is a concerted effort going on to
have people who scan books make corrections before
they upload them. When there are too many scanning
errors, validators who don't have a lot of time
release the books and it takes quite a while for them
to get into the collection --if they ever do.
"rn" for "m", as in your example, can't be corrected
by a quick replace with, unless one is absolutely
certain that the word "corn, or "born, isn't used, or
that there isn't some other word  that  *should *have
""r n" instead of "m". The only way to make these
books truly "Excellent" is for the validator to read
them and correct as he or she goes along. -- and/or
for the scanner to do that before submitting the book.
 More and more people are now taking the care necessar
to do this, so the later submissions should be in much
better shape than the older ones. Some members are
going to download books in the collection marked Fair
or Good, correct them, and submit them as replacement
copies. I think they'll get credit for it, too. If you
feel like becoming a volunteer (apparently it's a
separate process from being a member) and doing that,
with the book you're currently reading, you could. Are
you aware that as a volunteer you get credit toward
your annual membership? I think the going rate is
$2.50 for scanning and submitting a book and 50 cents
for validating one that's on the download for
validatin list. (I thought someone onceposted that
itwas $3.50 for scanning -- I do't know for sure which
is correct)l

Cindy

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail