[bookshare-discuss] Re: banned books on bookshare

  • From: "Francesca Marinaro" <poetprodigy7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 21:25:46 -0400

In both of my classes, the concensis was that children should be allowed to
read Harry Potter because it is not dangerous; however, parents have the
right to sensor what very young children read. If you've read the Harry
Potter books, you know that they get progressively darker. If I have a small
child who I know frightens easily, I wouldn't want him or her reading
Half-blood prince until he or she is a bit older because even I had
nightmares after reading that book, and I was almost 22 at the time.
I think if parents want to sensor what their children read, they need to
read the book in question firsdt. As an English teacher, I firmly believe
that you can only give an informed opinion on a book if you've read it.
A woman I know doesn't let her daughter read Harry Potter because it's black
magic according to her, but she hasn't ever read them. She does, on the
other hand, allow her to read Narnia because of the blatently obvious
christian symbolism.
What a lot of people fail to recognize--and I will stop after this--is that
you can also see Christsian symbolism in Harry Potter. I can't buy the whole
occult/black magic argument because in the end, good always wins.