[bookshare-discuss] Re: Volunteering and validating

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 13:31:17 -0700 (PDT)

Paula, I'm not sure there are specific guidelines.  As
you probably have noticed frm recent posts, readers
want books in better shape than bookshare's general
guidelines made them. Those were just to check for the
correct copyright information and be surea ll the
pages are there.  The best thing, but most
time-consuming, is to check that that copyright
information is there and then read the book,
correcting as you go. This is, as I say,
time-consuming, but if you pick a book that interests
you, it's fun. Also, you can, as I have, learn about
books and authors you might not have learned about
otherwise -- and though you'll only get 5o cents
credit, you do get to keep your copy of the book, of
course.

Less-time consuming is to do a spell-check and check
the paginatin, i.e., make sure all the pages are
there. You can't always go by the page numbers --
sometimes they're garbled or missing. What I've done
is to check the last line of one page and the first
line of the next; if it doesn't make sense, then
probably a page is missing.

The only other rule is to close hyphens at the end of
lines. When the first half of the hyphenated word is
the last word on the page, you can either move it to
the top line of the next page or complete the word on
that page and delete the second half that;s on the

I've found that files have to be unstuffed after I've
downloaded them (I had to ask why I couldn't open them
-- someone had to tell me, which is why I mention it).

So just go ahead, download something that looks
interesting, and start. If you have any questions
while you're doing it, just ask here. Everyone is very
helpful, and it's easier to answer your question than
to try to guess what question you might have.

Oh - one more important thing.  There is no deadline
-- you can keep renewing books as long as you want --
but you must remember to renew them, or the original,
without your  changes, goes back onto the download
list and someone else might take it and start working
on it. I suggest marking the expiration date
somewhere. Count seven days, including the day you
downloaded the book. Then when you go to upload it
gives you a choice of release, renew or upload. HIt
renew and you have 7 more days.

Enjoy

Cindy

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail