[bookshare-discuss] Re: Things to do while scanning

  • From: Brenda Mueller <brendin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 06:31:37 -0500

At work I have a time convincing those computer people of the importance of
braille.  I work in two languages and have a lot of computer stuff to learn
before the new system lands on my desk.  I was sent to a class about a new
system and was expected to memorize everything on the spot.  I wanted things to
read and study just as the other students had.  The teachers and the computer
people acted as if they thought I was insane.  After all there was voice,
wasn't there? When all of the blind people walked out of the class, we finally
got our information loaded onto our terminals on our desk so we could read with
braille displays.  Keep fighting for braille.  Some people seem to think it is
just a toy.  I explained that reading is not the same as listening when I'm
trying to memorize.  After all I grew up reading braille.  Yes, at home I just
use voice note, but I'm not reading in foreign languages at home, nor am I
memorizing long lists of commands, etc.

So this freedom box works with a PC? Does it have its own voice? Is it more or
less complicated to learn than jaws?
Is it easy to move it from terminal to terminal? How portable is it? What are
its drawbacks?

Brenda Mueller