[bookshare-discuss] Re: T: Spiritual Classics

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:06:09 -0500

These may not be the type of books you are looking for, but these three books influenced my spiritual development more than anything else. If you haven't read them, give 'em a try.

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse, Joachim Neugroschel (translator)
http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=47431#main_content
Synopsis: Set in India, Siddhartha is the story of a young Brahmin's search for ultimate reality after meeting with the Buddha. Includes suggestions for further reading.
Quality: Excellent, almost no errors.
Language: English
Book size: 171 pages
Copyright Date: 1999
Submitted by: Carrie Karnos

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibrán
http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=38726#main_content
Synopsis: The Prophet speaks of love and marriage, joy and sorrow, reason and passion, beauty and death, and conveys the yearning for a Unity of Being that can only
be achieved through love.
Quality: Excellent, almost no errors.
Book size: 128 pages
Copyright Date: 1900
Submitted by: Carrie Karnos

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=4157#main_content
Synopsis: Robert Heinlein's best known novel, the winner of the 1962 Hugo award. Valentine Michael Smith, born during the first Martian expedition, returns to earth as a messiah like figure. Still daring even 40 years later, Valentine Smith founds a new religion, preaches free love, and founds a commune. Through this character, Heinlein questions social taboos and institutions. This book will make you think about long held beliefs, forcing you to consider alternatives.
Quality: Good, some errors.
If you can get it, NLS has excellent versions in recorded format and on web braille.

Bob
----- Original Message ----- From: "kelby carlson" <kelbycarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>