[bookshare-discuss] Re: Swearing

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 07:59:33 -0400

Hi all,

Patricia, there's been a hoodoo here for the past two days. I'm drowning in msgs, and I'm trying to read only the important ones. The reason 'swearing' is a subject line is because we're attempting to figure out what's adult and what's not. My perspective on here is that if you know the meaning of the three words that talk about bad language, you'll be better able to judge what's what. Here's a brief definition.

1. 'swearing', to swear means to use the name of God in vain, or in order to take an oath by it. It is the most offensive to deists because if you use God's name in a context where you didn't really intend to do so, it's considered bad form. Not only that, it's against the Ten Commandments. So, if you're Catholic, it's a mortal sin.

2. 'cursing' to curse means to call down misfortune on somebody or something. Consigning someone or something to Hell by damning them is to curse. Some cultures pride themselves on how well they can curse. they start with calling down all kinds of misfortune upon somebody and go on to include their family and their community and so on. when you curse, you must wish somebody ill, a malediction, bad words.

3. 'vulgar language' vulgar language is just that. It is using words that are considered to be dirty or coarse. These include all the anglo-saxon four letter words referring to the sexual act, anything about bodily functions or their excretia. These words when used in polite company are considered to be crass, or low class or just rude.

If you use these definitions, you'll be able to assess books contents better when determining if they're adult or not.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring