[bookshare-discuss] Summary Of Romance Book Club's July 18 Meeting

  • From: "Susan" <slumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:41:28 -0500

July 18, 2008

Book Discussion:

The Romance Book Club's July meeting discussed When Lightning Strikes, a
time travel romance by Kristin Hannah. There was mixed reaction from the
group about the book. This was the first time travel romance several of us
had explored. As some of us were not especially fond of this particular book
but wished to explore the genre further, Grace recommended another time
travel romance we might like to try, A Knight In Shining Armor, by Jude
Deveraux. Lynn expressed how realistic she thought the book was from the
psychological standpoint.

Susan shared that Kristin Hannah's website is kristinhannah.com. Once in
Every Lifetime was also mentioned as another time travel novel written by
this author; Firefly Lane and Between Sisters, (not time travel books) are
other works by Hannah. She has written since 1991 after attending law
school. She also wrote Comfort and Joy and now has gone to more mainstream
fiction.

Notes On Book Club:

Grace announced she would be resigning from the club's leadership after the
August meeting because she will be returning to work and does not know how
much time she will have to devote to the club due to both family and work
responsibilities. Susan will also be giving up the co-leadership role. Cindy
stated the club actually encouraged her to read romances again which she
usually doesn't do. Our initial desire in forming this book club was to
encourage each of us not only to read authors we were familiar with but to
expand our horizons by introducing authors or genres of romance we had not
read before! We both hope someone will want to continue this club in the
future and have enjoyed our co-leadership, forming several new friendships!

August Recommendation And Meeting

For the August meeting, we are not recommending  a particular book. everyone
is  encouraged to read whatever romance they choose and present a 3-4 minute
discussion of the book to the group. Our next meeting will be Friday, August
15, 2008, 9:00 p.m. Eastern, 6:00 p.m. Pacific! Hope to see you there! Until
then, happy reading!

The Romance Book Club Team

Grace Pires, Email

 <mailto:silvara@xxxxxxx> silvara@xxxxxxx