[bookshare-discuss] Possible Solution? Publisher Quality books

  • From: "liz halperin" <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 08:16:04 -0800

OK, first I rant then I try to come up with solutions, just my style. I am
still thinking of the thousands of readers who may try to download these
books and then not be able to access them. We've been coming up with methods
and sharing them amongst ourselves on both this list and the volunteer list
(which I quit a week or two ago due to volume--I have no idea what they're
saying over there now).

Is someone making note of the tricks that do work? Here's an idea: Suppose
there were a link to a web page that would be constantly updated, that
listed the work arounds. (This is what software companies do when they put
out v.0 releases. Rick- this answers your statement bout new software with
bugs: they add links to patches.) As more work arounds for various equipment
products are discovered, those could be added to the web page. It could be
designed very simply.  For the most user-friendly access, suppose each PQ
book had a line on its download page that said, "If you are having trouble
opening this file, click here." There would be an active link  to the Patch
Page (by whatever friendly name they chose to call it) that would list types
of equipment, all the various ways people have come up with to do things
(including via scanning programs). On that page could be an added note
saying, "If you have discovered another successful way to access these
files, please let us know by contacting xxx." That would be another active
link to Support or some address designated for  updating that page.
Bookshare could then show good faith in recognizing the need to address
current problems until engineering catches up. Roseanne and Rob Reader out
in cyberland would be able to access the books, and be pleased with
Bookshare. They could also feel some sense of "ownership"  if they added
another work around. (And multiple work arounds for one type of equipment
would be lovely since we know tricks don't always work, depending on the
version of the equipment's hardware and software itself. I imagine this
could save Support (that's John Glass, yes?) countless individual responses.

All the main players are at the CSUN conference now, so who knows if anyone
will bring this to their attention. I'm cc-ing Claire and Lisa, what the
heck, in for a penny, in for a pound.

Liz in Portland, who usually feels responsible to provide a potential
solution after criticizing something that's not working

Liz Halperin
Portland, OR
lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx