[bookshare-discuss] Re: Please Don't Feed The Troll - smile

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:58:48 -0600

All,  this is not an appropriate forum for arguing personal beliefs,
whether you are on one side or an other of a discussion it is immaterial.
Such discussions are best held in a special interest group list.

G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  (512) 286-5794
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

'there is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept'
                             Ansel Adams

Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
Sent by:
01/23/2009 09:50 AM
Please respond to
bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bookshare-discuss] Re: Please Don't Feed The Troll - smile

Your point is quite legitimate. It is interesting that those who object to
the pot being stirred are at the same time vigorously stirring the pot. It
is as simple as this. If I am looking at a message that I have a response
to then, like anyone else, I respond to it. In the process of making those
opinions -- and I am using the universal you here -- then, really,
honestly, think about it, that really is just tough shit. The plain fact
is that there are a lot of people in this world whose opinions you are not
going to like and if you open your mind enough to accept that then I
guarantee that you will be a lot happier. Opening your mind may run
counter to what you have been taught in church, but churches, despite what
they might say, are in the business of controlling you, not ensuring your
personal happiness. I will also point out that even though I have never
been a believer myself I have known any number of atheists who were former
religionists and their stories are very similar. The story is always one
of accumulating doubts and discomfort with their upbringing and that is
usually rather sad, but the part where they put their upbringing behind
them and finally break with religion is an entirely different matter. They
always describe it as the most liberating experience in their lives and
one of the most liberating parts is that they can finally disagree with
others without feeling a self destructive gnawing hatred inside. It still
remains, though, that if you have not had that liberating experience and
it upsets you so much to hear an opinion that is different from your own
you can minimize exposure to those opinions by not denigrating them and
thereby provoking the person with the different opinion to respond to you.

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bookshare-discuss] Re: Please Don't Feed The Troll - smile
Date:
1/23/2009 6:09:00 AM Eastern Standard Time
From:
dhubb100@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To:
bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

I'mnew to thislist but it seems to me that if people don't react the pot
in
effect hasn't been stired.  And, this really doesn't help any of us who
need
help or want to discuss Bookshare right?

-Diane