[bookshare-discuss] Re: Ot New computer advice and monitor for low vision

You can't be too careful. I had a guy who owns a little machine shop bring me one of the fancy WD mybooks with the network port on it. He had been using it to store all his cnc data and other business stuff. I couldn't read the drive with anything I could find and sent him to an outfit that would probably charge him $700 just to get interested in the problem. This unit had vents all over it, but it was plastic which doesn't conduct heat well, and it had no fan in it.

I alternate backups between a couple of external hard drives and I store them in a safe that is supposedly fire resistant. I also try to keep my laptop up to date with the same info, I'd grab it if I was in a big hurry to go. I've lost enough work to mistakes of my own doing. I don't want to lose any due to hardware failure.

On 8/18/2012 17:11, Duane Iverson wrote:
True! Very True! my daughter lost hers which had all her music on it.
a lot of music. I use mine for back-up only plug it in, copy the
stuff, unplug it and put it back in the box. Another solution are
memory sticks. The price has come down. I recently bought a pack of 3
eight-gig sticks from Sams Club. One would have to be careful though
either to label each stick, you'd have to put in it's on envelope or
something or write a read-me.txt file in the root directory of each
stick. for example: copied august 4 2012. This drive contains all my
books from Baen that would fit.

next stick might read made august 5, 2012. this drive contains the
rest of my baen library and all the books I downloaded from
bookshare.

I have to admit I've never tried a cloud based back-up service. I am
so paronoid though after losing all my financial records from 1997 to
2006 that I have two back-up hard drives. kept in separate
locations.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Hill"
<hillco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent:
Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:10 PM Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: Ot
New computer advice and monitor for low vision

Great, except for one thing: external hard drives aren't cooled
well and when they die it can be either trivial or extremely
expensive to get the data off of them. Use an external drive for
backup if you wish, but they are probably less reliable than an
internal drive due to lack of cooling and the fact that they can be
knocked around more easily. If you need backup for a reasonable
amount of stuff and you don't want to mess around with an external
drive, consider services like the free dropbox or paied carbonite.

On 8/18/2012 14:49, Duane Iverson wrote:
One quiet suggestion. Buy an external hard drive and put all
your important files on that drive: Then a crash is aa heck of
an annoyance but not a catastrophy. Also as far as sighted use of
the screen goes Have you looked at either Magic the screen
inlarger from f reedom Scientific? Or the system access program
from serotek which has a built in screen enlarger?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Estelnalissi"
<airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Cc:
<bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012
2:57 PM Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Ot New computer advice and
monitor for low vision

Dear Booksharian Friends,

Proofreading is what I do most of the time when I'm at my
computer. Mine is about 7 years old. To proof books in word I
have to divide them in parts or my computer fan shrieks and
there are large time lags when I make changes. Last night I got
a blue screen and two weeks ago I got a blue screen one day, a
black screen the next day and a blue screen the following day.
My fan is so loud when I go to a site like Amazon or Paperback
Swap that I can't hear anything else in the house. I think
Scotty would say, "She can't stand the strain, Captain.!"

I'm terrified that the next crash will leave me with no ability
to save the files of all the books I've proofed, my the poetry
I've collected, the quotes I glean from the books I proof, the
Gaelic dictionary I've compiled while reading books about
Scotland and Ireland, The personal e-mail that means so much to
me and my favorites that help me find the sites on the internet
I love.

I have to get a new computer! I use jaws to do 99 percent of
my computer work. I have no light perception in one eye and
under 20/400 in the eye that works. It has no travel vision. I
can't see things at the end of my arm, on the floor or across
the table from me when I'm eating with others. The miracle is
that I can still see print if my nose is literally touching the
screen or no more than 2 inches away, one inch if the print is
on paper and is large enough.

My current monitor which turns dark aqua blue sometimes is the
heavy old type of TV. I can see enlarged pictures or print on
it with no distortion. I only have to frequently clean off my
nose prints. The new computers have flat screens. When I get
close enough to them to see them a kind of shadow appears,
darkening what I'm trying to see so that I can't see it at all.
No matter how large the screen is, my particular vision problem
requires me to be right up there. Often it means standing up so
I can lean over the keyboard. For this reason, I can't see the
screen on a laptop. I'll be buying a desk top with a big
monitor.

Can any of you advise me of a kind of monitor which doesn't get
all distorted when you get right up close to it? Can anyone
advise me of a computer you think will be strong enough for me
to continue proofreading? I don't play computer games because
they move too fast for me to track and I can only see a little
part of the screen at one time. I want a computer which will be
able to handle long books in Word and will have a big memory
for the books I like to keep after they are approved. I'd also
like to save music, which I haven't been able to do for ages
because my computer has been extremely noisy for at least two
years. I just couldn't afford to replace it the minute it
became troublesome. I think now I can't delay getting a new
computer any longer.

I'm also wondering if anyone will be able to help me work with
the new Word I'll get. I'm not intuitive when it comes to
anything electronic. I'd use word 2003 forever if I could. Evan
proofs in k1000, so word isn't his go to proofing platform.

Any advice will be deeply appreciated. I'm so sad that my Dell
is begging to retire.

Maybe with a new computer it'll be easier to organize and keep
up with e-mail, particular e-mail from individuals. I don't do
face book and twitter, but e-mail from individuals is
precious.

The Geek squad from Best buy will come to my house to install
JAWS, k1000 and transfer my current memories to my new
computer. I am so scared they'll say they can't do it.
Computers are wonderful, but hard copies of books and music
don't vaporize in an instant. When my new computer crashed
after only a year, they said they couldn't retrieve the email.

Wish me luck. Evan thinks I should be excited to be updating
but I think its terrifying! And, I don't want to be stopped
from proofreading for a single day.

Always with love,

Lissi To unsubscribe from this list, send a blank Email to
bookshare-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Put the word
'unsubscribe' by itself in the Subject line. To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the
subject line.