[bookshare-discuss] OT: The Happy Flea and Roland Young

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:35:00 -0700 (PDT)

I just got onto the computer and so haven't been
through all the posts yet. If someone else has already
provided this information, or if you're not
interested, just delete without reading.

G.Cindy

I did some research. Here's the complete verse.

Here?s to the happy bounding flea
It?s hard to tell the he from she
The sexes look alike, you see
But she can tell
And so can he

It's funny that you should mention that verse at this
time. You must have excellent ESP. I researched online
and found the verse and an explanation of how it came
to be written and where it was published in today's
issue of Time Magazine.

Here's the info and the verse, though the first line
is slightly different from the one I found at first:

"Small, lackadaisical Roland Young emigrated from
London 20 years ago. achieved his greatest stage
success in Rollo's Wild Oat, a play written by his
mother-in-law, Clare Kummer. In the cinema, Young is
usually a chipper menace, a sleek eccentric drunkard,
or a patrician foil for some more homespun leading
man. In private life, he is a collector of penguins in
books, pictures and statuary, which he maintains in
the penguin room of his Hollywood home. Of penguins he
says: "I like them because they are different. ... I
am going to spend lots of time studying penguins." In
The Queen's Husband instead of scribbling the
despatches called for by his role, Young amused
himself by writing verse. The printable ones were
included in a book called Not for Children. Sample:

And here's the happy bounding flea?

You cannot tell the he from she.

The sexes look alike, you see

But she can tell and so can he. . . .