[bookshare-discuss] Re: OT. Old-time Radio site free for blind individuals

  • From: Tony Baechler <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 00:50:26 -0700

Hi.  I am not familiar with that site, but there are many, many OTR streams
that broadcast 24 hours a day if all you want to do is listen.  Again, the
quality won't be that great, but it is OTR.  Go to something like
live365.com or yp.shoutcast.com and search for OTR for lots of streams.

Personally, I object to sites that offer special links for the
blind.  Either they should be made accessible in the first place because of
the ADA or the similar UK law.  Second, anyone with a modern screen reader
and web browser should be able to access the vast majority of sites out
there.  There are some obvious exceptions in cases of maps or sites which
are driven by images, but all OTR sites should be accessible just because
of the nature of them.  Therefore, I have a dislike for sites which claim
to offer something special exclusively to the blind.  A good example is
thayne.com.  Why should the blind get free membership just because they are
blind?  Even if you don't see anything wrong with this, why is the site
charging membership at all?  One thing I will say is that if mp3 is what
you want, there really is no good reason to pay a site for it.  I am not
talking about buying CDs full of mp3, I am talking about paying a
membership fee just to download the shows.  This is nuts!  Go to any one of
many sites and get what you want for free.  Here is another one, also with
poor mp3 quality but still free.

http://www.radiolovers.com/