[bookshare-discuss] Re: OT. Oldtime Radio site free for blind individuals

  • From: Tony Baechler <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 23:52:35 -0700

Hi Larry.  It's a shame that you and so many others feel this way.  The
reason why most OTR is of poor quality is because of collectors making
hundreds of copies over the years.  However, if you listen to shows in
first generation quality or close to it, the quality is stunning.  I am not
talking about 50 shows on an mp3 CD, I am talking about two shows on an
audio CD.  You may think that $5 or $7 is expensive for only two shows, but
it really isn't, especially for high quality.  I will make you the same
offer as Cindy.  Send me your address off list and I will send you an audio
CD with two really outstanding sounding shows.  It's really disappointing
to me to read that people still feel that OTR is in low quality when so
much of it has been restored and now sounds very good to
excellent.  Admittedly, not all OTR will sound great.  Collectors have made
so many copies of some shows that the damage is permanent.  However, many
do sound good and will sound even better after someone restores them with
care.  I have restored shows before and it's not easy, but I certainly
wouldn't want to throw it away with mp3 compression.  Finally, you can get
about 100 shows on a CD if you want, not just 50 or 60.  You can do better
than otrcat if you look and if you insist on mp3.