[bookshare-discuss] OT Messages (was Re: Re: Request to not post "books submitted" here)

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 22:25:29 -0500

Darrell, it is true that there are other lists for other topics. But the list moderator has stated that off topic postings are permissible on the Discuss list, and I hope that does not change.

Suppose I have a question on some non-Bookshare related subject, which has happened from time to time. I once had a question about my AVG antivirus program, just one question. Then, just to ask one simple question, I would have had to go and find the appropriate list, assuming one already existed, then subscribe to it, then ask the question, then unsubscribe from it. A rather inefficient time wasting method just to ask one question I would think. Instead, I asked my question here and got the answer very quickly. And now that I think about it, I did forget to thank Pratik for his quick and simple answer. Thanks, very belatedly, Pratik. <smile>

Besides, how many lists would a person have to subscribe to in order to be able to discuss any topic they could imagine. What would that do to the volume of my mailbox? And even if it were possible to find a list for every conceivable topic, that sounds like an extremely rigid way to live. What if someone thinks of a topic for which no list currently exists? Would you advocate forbidding discussion of it anywhere until a new list had been created specifically for that topic? There has to be a place for the unplanned, the unscripted, the spontaneous. Where would such a place exist if every topic had to have a list of its own, and no list could post off topic messages? Most of the lists I am on are of the no off topic nature, and I don't have an objection to that. (People have a right to determine the rules for lists they create, after all.) But I do like the freedom in the fact that I can bring up something here that isn't rigidly prescripted.

As I understand it from postings I have read from some of the older members, it was believed that a certain latitude in message rules - as long as the off topic postings didn't become rampant - was considered okay because it helped to foster the sense of community that is important in many volunteer efforts. I know that that has done so for me at least. Given the number of volunteers on the other list, that may no longer be feasible there; but I hope that that latitude will continue here, where traffic is substantially lower.

I will not post OT messages on the Volunteer list, but as long as they are permitted here, I may elect to post them, judiciously, of course.

I know I may be in the minority on this, as I think many people may be on more lists than I am on, that being the inevitable outcome of a list for every topic; and I will, of course, abide by whatever management decides. But I hope they will continue to recognize the benefits - intangible as they may sometimes seem - of a little flexibility.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Darrell Shandrow" <darrell.shandrow@xxxxxxxxx>