[bookshare-discuss] Next meeting of the Science fiction book club

  • From: Lelia Struve <leliastruve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 20:12:36 -0400

Hello Folks,

Once again, we had a very good turnout at last night's meeting, and a great discussion. Our book, Eon by Greg Bear, recieved mixed reviews, with some of us liking it quite a lot, and others not so much.

Our next meeting will be on April 14, 2011.

Time: 9 PM Eastern, 8 Central, 7 Mountain, 6 Pacific, and 01:00 UTC.

Place: Book Nook at

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

The book we're reading this month is aimed at young adult readers, but is one that all SF fans can enjoy:

Time Machines: The Greatest Time Travel Stories Ever Written, edited by Bill Adler, Jr.

This one is available as a digital download from BARD at

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.nls/db.47370

Here's the NLS synopsis:

Anthology of twenty-two time travel short stories. Personal favorites of the editor ranging from Edgar Allan Poe's "Three Sundays in a Week" written in 1850 to Derryl Murphy's "What Goes Around" from 1997.

Here's a somewhat longer description from Amazon's page:

From School Library Journal
YA-Even readers who generally avoid science fiction can find something enjoyable in this anthology. The 22 stories represent a wide range of authors and time periods. Edgar Allan Poe, Rudyard Kipling, Isaac Asimov, Rod Serling, Ray Bradbury, Connie Willis, and Robert Sawyer are among the writers included. The quality of the stories is exceptional; each tale is a thought-provoking experience. From the transportation of Sherlock Holmes to the 21st century to solve an enigma, to a time traveler who refuses to die, to a graduate history student doing his practicum in World War II London, all of the stories are readable, enjoyable, and stimulating. The cover claims that a tale by H. G. Wells is included (it is not). Despite this error, the book is highly recommended for young adults.

This one should be a lot of fun as well as thought provoking, so hope to see lots of you there to talk about it next month.

Evan

--
Lelia