[bookshare-discuss] Re: Looking for old lists of new books

  • From: "Shannon" <bookreader53@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 07:10:38 -0500

Hi, how do you get the list you are speaking of in the email which was posted? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bookshare Volunteer" <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:55 AM
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: Looking for old lists of new books

Hi again,

I can now say that I have a bunch from Brenda from what appears to be August to October, but I haven't gotten them all in chronological order yet. I also saw a couple from the end of July. Now I'm thinking that maybe I should put them up on a special web site for others in my position, specifically that they don't want to go to the Bookshare site but don't want to miss anything either. Now since the Bookshare site is acting weird and won't offer new books going back indefinitely, it might help to provide a reference for as far back as possible. I of course don't want to cause problems with the Bookshare staff and there isn't much point if such a site wouldn't be used. I've found a way to get Cindy's lists that she emails automatically posted with no work on her part so they would show up on the web site as soon as the email is received. Any thoughts? It would be a private site using Wordpress, a popular blogging package. It would also offer rss feeds and a search for people wanting to keep up that way, but no comments. It wouldn't be listed in general search engines, it would be intended for Bookshare users and volunteers. Obviously I don't want to upset Cindy or the staff. I understand there might be rights issues with posting such lists on other sites.

Again, Brenda gets a big thanks for sending me several lists that I was missing. Thank you Brenda!

Cindy Rosenthal wrote:
I'll just add that the reason he's asking for lists
from before Nov. is that I'm sending the ones since
but I've deleted all those for previous months.
CIndy

--- Bookshare Volunteer <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi all,

Do any of you have old lists of new books added to
Bookshare dating before November?  I understand that the new site
allows searching for the past three months, but from what I've read, that
doesn't always work like it's supposed to.  Also, I like Cindy's lists
because they seem to have more detail than the standard Bookshare site
does.  If you have email from her from before November or if you happen
to have saved old lists, that would be appreciated.  Please send them
to bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  There is no size limit on
attachments so you can send them that way if you want or I can provide
ftp upload instructions.  Thank you very much.  The reason I'm
asking is that I haven't been on Bookshare regularly since about June
or July and the new site doesn't have the same advanced search as
before.  It used to be that I could leave the title and author empty and
the advanced search would show me all new books going back to the
beginning.  Now that doesn't work, a title or author is required.  As I
said, the new books list on the site only goes back three months and
I've been gone longer than that. I have a big backlog already and haven't
had time to look since about the summer.  Again, thanks for any help
in finding the old lists.

  Put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the
Subject line.  To get a list of available commands,
put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.

WISH LIST (CALLED REQUESTED ADDITIONS TO THE BOOKSHARE COLLECTION)IS AVAILABLE AT http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/wish_list/wish_list.htm
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm

A LIST OF BOOKS CURRENTLY BEING SCANNED IS AVAILABLE AT http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm