[bookshare-discuss] Re: How Many NLS Members? (was) Re: Bad scan Wheel of...

  • From: "Rick Roderick" <richard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:22:38 -0500

One of my favorite talking books that I have every gotten has been "Rhubarb
in the Catbird Seat," by Red Barber.  It was read by the author, and no one
could have read it better.

The Roosevelt Family of Sagamore Hill,) by Herman Hagadorn was read in a
mixed fashion.  The author sounded like a very old man and read the first
side.  The rest was read by Norman Rose, a very adept reader at that time.

One of the worst narrations I have heard on talking  books was Lake Wobegon
Days, by Garrison Keillor.  Actually, as far as regular books were
concerned, it could be argued that it was very well-read.  However, so much
of Keillor's material depends on timing, and that was completely absent.