[bookshare-discuss] Fw: Michael Hingson's September Newsletter

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:16:39 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 2:10 PM
Subject: Michael Hingson's September Newsletter

            Today is a special day for this country and for the families that
were personally affected by the tragedy of 9-11. For me, this day is especially
significant, as many of you know. Eight years ago today, along with my Guide
Dog Roselle, I was able to lead a group of people safely down from the 78th
floor, escaping Tower Two just moments as it collapsed less than 100 yards away
from me.
            By the world's standard, this was an unlikely accomplishment for
someone blind from birth. The truth of the matter is quite the reverse, as the
skills and abilities I've developed in response to being blind gave me the
ability to survive and help others in the process. Trust and teamwork with my
Guide Dog Roselle, developed through persistent training and leadership,
enabled us to work together and stay focused.

            The lessons from 9-11 are in some ways even more relevant today, as
people are confronted by unexpected and relentless economic devastation and
loss on many fronts. Today's economic challenges have 'attacked' what most
Americans have considered 'safe,' their home values, retirement plans, their
careers and even family life.

            Surviving this experience has opened up new areas of confidence in
my own life, propelling me to share my story of overcoming challenges to
motivate others to do the same. Out of the ashes comes hope.

            All of us alive today have a responsibility to move forward, to
fight the challenges and make a difference in unity. Here are a few areas where
progress is being made to educate, uplift and empower:

            Louis Braille Coin Update: Braille literacy remains a critical
issue in this country. I urge you to visit the site and purchase a coin, which
ranges from $33.95 - $41.95. Giving them as gifts also gives you the
opportunity to share the cause with others. Please do so today, as they may not
be available after the first of the year. Visit:
http://www.nfb.org/nfb/Louis_Braille_Commemorative_Coin.asp

            KNFB Mobile Reader Update: As the National Director of Sales for
the KNFB Mobile Reader, I am glad to report that awareness of this powerful
assistive device is spreading, everywhere from college campuses to among those
losing their site to macular degeneration. For more information and to purchase
a KNFB Mobile Reader, visit: http://knfbreader.michaelhingson.com/

            National Speaking Schedule: My travels as keynote speaker are
leading me across the country, addressing diverse audiences on various topics
including Teamwork, Inclusion and now, more than ever, "Beyond Surviving to
Thriving." Please concact me for availability. I also work with small groups
and private trainings.

            Eight years ago, we united as a nation in response to unprecedented
attacks on our values, beliefs and freedom. Today, we have a similar
opportunity to unite and help each other on many different levels. I am honored
to be able to share encouragement with you and thank you for staying connected.

            Sincerely,

            Mike Hingson
            415-827-4084
            www.michaelhingson.com