[bookshare-discuss] Re: Favorite synthetic voices for reading Bookshare books

  • From: Ron Wright <wrightr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 13:18:42 -0700

Judy,

I have a couple AT&T voices; I never use them.

My favorite by far is Acapela's Heather, though I keep a couple others handy for a break. I have several other Acapela voices with British accents (i.e., "UK English") as well as a couple ScanSoft RealSpeak voices: Australian Lee and Indian accented Sangeeta (which I like using if I'm reading Kipling or Thich Nhat Hanh -- Wrong country, I know). In addition to using these voices for my own reading, I also use them in my therapy practice. Most of my patients know who Heather is, and I think they like her best, too. (With patients, during a session, I might have Heather read an email they wrote me so we can talk about it, a personal statement for grad school, a part of a book or journal article relevant to our discussion, etc. I've even been known to send them home with an mp3 of Sangeeta reading a chronicle they'd written of some harrowing experience which allows them to hear it with a bit of distance.)

Hope that helps,
Ron

PS: I use TextAloud from NextUp.com for my reader, so these are voices that go with that.

On 1/18/2012 7:16 PM, Judy s. wrote:
I'm looking at a major upgrade in computer systems, and may buy some new voices at the same time. I'd love some feedback on which voices the rest of you prefer to use when reading Bookshare books. I'm leaning towards the Acapela voices. I have four of the AT&T Natural voices right now, but I've heard that the Acapela voices sound better and do a better job on pronouncing words. I'm also curious about the quality of the Real Speak voices and the Cepstral voices that are out there.

All opinions and experiences, positive and negative, on these appreciated!  smile.

Judy s.

--
Ron Wright, MD/PhD
Department of Psychiatry