[bookshare-discuss] Fantasy Club

  • From: "Vapour Wiseblood" <vapour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:58:14 -0700

Greetings Booksharians,
        This is a little late in coming, but I still need to get it out.
        Thanks to those that attended the fantasy club last Saturday. We had
one of our most thought provoking discussions yet, on Philip Pullman's The
Golden Compass. It is a good story in it of itself, but there is plenty
there to ponder and discuss, even if you do not agree with Pullman's
political, philosophical, and religious beliefs.
        For next month's meeting, which meets on Saturday April 12, we will
be discussing Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny. While the book is
available by itself in the Bookshare collection, it could be a better scan.
All of us, who are opting to use our Bookshare accounts in order to read the
book, have chosen to read The Great Book of Amber, which contains the first
ten books in Zelazny's Amber series. Nine Princes in Amber promises to be a
good read, as it combines elements of fantasy and science fiction in the
same story. Since some of us have read a significant amount of science
fiction, alogn with our fantasy reading, it will be interesting to notice
the different reactions to the blending of the two genres.

Magically yours,
Vapour Wiseblood.