[bookshare-discuss] Re: Covers

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:12:43 -0700

Thanks, Kellie, you probably said this better than I could. Also, it is not core content, so we're not really obligated to put it in at all. I do it because I like reading it, and assume that at least some other people would like to as well. So I do it in the manner that seems most clear and accessible given the linear structure of a computer file. The contents of a book are mostly linear, the exception being the dust jacket info. A judgment has to be made on where to put it amidst the rest of the linear content, and I chose to follow the NLS example - since tapes are also linear - partly out of habbit, having grown up with that method, but also because I couldn't think of a better placement. Putting half of it at the beginning of the book, in a hardcover, and half at the end, is just absurd to me, and it just seemed logical to put it immediately after the title page and copyright page, which is usually the page right after that. Then all the legal and publication info is out of the way. I also merge the front and back cover info, making one page out of two, since they are not actual pages in the book. I will continue to do it that way unless someone has what I find to be a compelling reason to do it differently.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>