[bookshare-discuss] Comments on a free DAISY reader?

  • From: "susan gerhart" <slger123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 10:49:08 -0700

Here is a promising free DAISY reader. How does it compare with Victor
and other readers?  I'm doing a simple comparison for a future blog
post , but have little experience reading  on  a desktop as I mainly
use Bookport and Icon.

Dorina DAISY reader, DDR, runs on Windows as an add-on to Mozilla
Firefox browser. You launch from the Tools menu and it starts
self-voiced leading to its tutorial. The book reading speech is your
default Windows voice set in the Control Panel.  Screens are not very
readable for my partial sight  and NVDA screen reader. So I used the
keyboard shortcuts clearly explained in the tutorial.

It tested well on 3 Bookshare books and a NY Times. Since most
Bookshare books lack much navigation, the reading is mostly linear
with bookmarks.

From Brazil in conjunction with the DAISY consortium,

http://www.caracol.com.br/agora/doc.cfm?id_doc=1982&lang=en

Any comments using this reader?