[bookshare-discuss] Re: Chico (off-topic)

  • From: "Gerald Mackowiak" <gmackowiak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:18:06 -0700

Illinois has lots of strange towns.  The late great senator Dirkson hailed
from the town of Pekin, pronounced Peekin by residents.  It was evidently
thought by the founders that if you drilled through the earth in Pekin you
would wind up in Peking pronounced Bay Jing (at least these days) China.
Good thing they didn't try.  They would have missed by quite a bit, and
flooded the midwest with the Indian Ocean.
(Grin)