[bookshare-discuss] Re: Bookshare's Perspective On Its Lists

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:39:09 -0500

Hi all,

So in other words, Benetech staff are the final authority on what goes or doesn't? This is good, Pavi, but you may find, I'm only saying may, that you want a single person to represent Benetech on these lists. It is sad but true that lists which have no moderator can and do often degenerate into squabbling and this happens in a documented way. If there is a single person from Benetech to whom complaints can be addressed, that would be super news. In this way, complainants can be sent directly to someone who will listen to their complaints and not tie up the list with discussions of how the list should or shouldn't be run.

As things are now, this system of yours will work. I think that we police our selves well. However, you may want to have a plan B just in case of fire, as my father used to say. The problem with a list eruption is that it can start in a heartbeat and by the end of two hours, you've got a raging inferno, so best to keep a fire extinguisher in the corner cupboard.

Ann P.